(Cyclo) Cross My Finger

Cyclocross…it’s a pretty crazy sport in the first place, but combine it with a broken finger and you get pure insanity.


The first Sacramento CX was last Saturday, and the day before I’d broken my finger. Honestly, I was in denial over my broken finger and I just kept telling myself it was fine and I would hardly notice it. Boy, was I wrong.


My finger felt pretty good when I got on the trainer, but I still had my splint on. For the race, I taped my broken finger to it’s neighbor in hopes it would help stabilize it. When I got to the start line I was still optimistic about my finger, and on my first lap it felt pretty good. The finger didn’t really start to give me any trouble until my third lap. As much as I hate to say it, I wasn’t surprised. It was a bumpy, rough, technical course on a fully rigid Cyclocross bike. By the time I got to my 5th lap pain shot through my finger with every little jolt. It was pretty humiliating, to be honest, to be seen by so many people when I was looking like I was about to cry. Trust me, I was. It was a lose-lose situation for me, because if I gripped the bars too tight my finger hurt, and if I didn’t grip hard enough the bars would wobble around and jar my finger.


I ended up finishing 7th in the Women’s B, which wasn’t bad but I expected better. It was a bummer, to be there on a beautiful day with an amazing bike and for one finger to mess it up. Ironic, though, that the broken finger happened to my middle finger. At the time I would have liked to give a middle finger to my broken middle finger.


But no more of Ms. Grumpy Gills, it’s time to talk about this amazing bike I mentioned. My full carbon, light-as-a-feather and totally pinked out Grammo C3CX. It’s got Mavic Ksyrium wheels, a full SRAM Apex group, anodized pink Grammo Cantilever brakes, and hot pink IRD Crossfire tires. The frame is full carbon with pink graphics with a blackish composite base. It’s just plain beautiful. But what is beauty worth when you’re soaked in mud? Nothing. But this bike rides like a dream. It’s a super stiff frame, so it’s snappy and provides me with amazing acceleration.


Anywhoo, hopefully my season turns sunny-side-up and I can put some wins in on the C3CX. Until then, keep chasing…