Xterra Whistler . . . WOW

Since I first heard about this race some time last year I knew it was going on my calendar. All I heard was technical, technical, technical, the most technical course in the WORLD! Sign me up. September 4th could not come fast enough for me. This would be my first time to Whistler the mountain bike mecca if you ask me.

Driving up from Southern Oregon was a task, something like 12 hours. The ride up was the prettiest ride I have ever been on. I grew anxiously excited the entire ride and couldn't wait to check out what the most technical course had to offer. We got in at 7am after driving 12 hours straight through so the nerves would have to wait a few hours to let my body recover. I'm surprised I got to sleep, I was a little excited.

When I woke up from my mid day nap I threw my gear on put the Grammo Toa in the truck and headed over to Rainbow Park to see if this race was going to live up to its hype. When I arrived it was hard to find the park but after much searching I discovered it. I wasted no time in the parking lot and headed right into the trails, which were so well marked for the race. Instantly a smile, I couldn't believe that they were hosting an Xterra on these trails, it was a dream come true. After pedaling around for a few minutes I was passed by pro Adam Wirth and decided I was going to stay on his heels and follow his lines. This was my first time meeting him, super cool dude and a fellow 29er. Him and I went around for maybe 20 minutes then he bailed off and I continued for another lap. I met up with two other races both from Canada and one who was in my age group. Both strong riders who were accustomed to such technical riding. I was paying close attention to Patrick, he was the one in my age group. We seemed well matched and I looked forward to racing with him.



After the pre-ride I decided to check out the run course. I had heard so many rumors about how technical and gut busting it was. Well 20 minutes into it and I was a believer of all I had heard. Over 1800 feet of climbing in just 6.2 miles.

After seeing most of the course all to do now was get some rest and be ready Sunday morning for what I had been waiting almost a year for, not to mention is was one of my last chances to qualify for Maui. For the race I installed a Reverb seat post dropper and was sporting a new Blue Seventy Axis wet-suit thanks to the kind folks at Unrealcycles



Race morning was beautiful, the water temperature was perfect and I could not wait for 9am to start this race. For the first time I was going into the swim with a little confidence as my coach has had me swimming 4-5 times a week since we had our swim analysis about a month ago. Finally 9am and the count down, I always feel a rush when the announcer says 10 seconds racers 10 seconds, right there nothing matters, not how fast someone did the course last year or what your goal time is. It is all about to show if you put in the time or not. You have no choice, something you have been waiting for a long time is literally seconds from starting and nothing is going to change that. Then the announcer yells . . . 1 go !!! And like a pack of crazy's we are in a race for the first buoy. I wanted to just get out in front a little bit and settle into a pace I knew I could maintain. I felt great and was doing an awesome job of spotting.


After the first lap it looked like I was in decent position but I wasn't to worried about that as I had another lap to swim. Exiting the water I had asked my friend to shout out my position but I told him if it was anything over 75 to just yell at me to go faster. When I passed  him I was pleasantly surprised to hear "47th get going". 

Into transition, ahhh the bike I couldn't wait. Had a good T1 and was off for my favorite part. It was a two lap ride that started out with a bit of climbing. It felt like the climb was over before it began for the first lap and I was on my way. About 3/4's of the way through there was a girl asking anyone and everyone as they passed if they had an extra tube, I hollered at her what size she needed and of course it was a 29er. I couldn't leave her stranded when I had one in my pack so I stopped and gave her my only tube. After doing this I was a little scared what if I were to need it, oh well don't have it anymore. This first loop went well however I did get passed by Patrick at the end of lap one and knew I couldn't hold onto his pace so I watched him slowly creep away. A little into lap 2 and I felt leg cramps coming on. I knew I had to back off and take it easy because of the run that was just around the corner. 



My second lap time was nearly 15 minutes slower than my first and I was a little down about this but the cramps had stayed away and I was getting ready for the run. My T2 went smooth and fast and before I knew it my favorite part was over. Now all I had to do was survive and hold everyone else off.


Part of the run course
The run was extremely challenging in a few ways. First it seemed to climb, climb, climb and then climb a little more and then when you would get a decent it was so technical you couldn't just effortlessly fly down it. I entered the single track with a runner 100 yards at most in front of me and I was determined to catch him. However before that would become a possibility I was passed by a Clydesdale of a racer who ended up pulling me along. It worked out great, I would pull him up the hills then he would tear the downhills and I would follow his lines. We caught a few people solely because of his ability to rip on the descents. The nameless Clydesdale and myself stayed with one another to almost the very end until we hit a decent that I just couldn't reel him in from. Luckily my choice to take it easy on the second leg of the bike had paid off and the leg cramps stayed either minor or not at all for most the race.

I ended up crossing the finish line at 3 hours and 34 minutes, about 20 minutes over my goal time. I wasn't overly concerned however, I was exited to have just survived! Looking back I realized that my swim time for the mile was 24 minutes. That was 6 minutes faster than previous best time. All those early morning swims turned out to be worth it. As they were posting the results I realized that I had finished second in my age group behind Patrick but had earned a spot at Maui.


A few moments across the finish line and I was told that my generosity had paid of big for someone. The tube that I had lent to the girl ended up getting her into T2 where she kept away second place and earned a Maui spot as well. She was a little excited, it felt good to hear that it made a difference.

WOW Whistler Xterra I can't say thanks enough to the race directors and volunteers who put on such an EPIC event. All I can say is I will be back next year and will hopefully be bringing some more athletes along with me to share the best that Xterra has to offer. I would also like to thank Standing Stone Brewing for their on going support! Next Race Maui World Championships . . . Yeah ya !!!