Orange bike is in the house!!!


New bike is built!!! Some may think that building a bike is little more than hanging components on a frame. Well I’m here to tell you otherwise. There are multiple steps, not the least of which is selecting the appropriate beverage for the job. When you’re building a bike as wild as the Orange Grammo you need an equally wild beer….okay two. I selected the BrewDog 5 AM Saint and the Chatoe Rogue ORegasmic Ale. This gives the appropriate nod to the British homeland of both the lads at Grammo USA and me, and the Oregon HQ of Grammo USA itself…well played I think.

On with the build. The Orange Grammo is a slick 78 degree (with 76 degree) TT specific machine. It looks fast right out of the box! I went with a primarily SRAM Force kit with the exception of the crankset which is an FSA K-Force with 55-42 TT chainrings. Some may question the choice of monster rings. That is fine, I understand, you’re jealous….no that’s not it. The truth is that I feel that when combined with an 11-25 cassette the 55-42 gives ample range for rolling courses while enabling additional speed when going downhill or a tailwind. Cabling this bike was a dream! I have to admit I was a little concerned when seeing the inputs and exits. I was having flashbacks of building my old KM40 when cabling took hours because the cable had to find its way from one end of the bike to the other through a maze of internal bladders used in the moulding process. Not here though…..push cable in one end and out it pops on the other. I actually did it on a couple of routings twice, just because it was fun. The only anxious moments during the build were when installing the threadless to threaded bottom bracket adaptor. Fortunately I had the right tool for the job, and all went well. The MegaExo bottom bracket went in without a problem. Of course the bike has been finished with a super deep Grammo wheel…right now it is the 88T.

Now for the tip of the week. When taking one bike apart and building another you are bound to get covered in bike grease and grime. To remove this from your hands, just grab the Shout fabric stain remover and give your hands a spray. The grease just falls off.

The finished product is stunning. Pictures don’t do it justice….at least those taken in my basement don’t. I’ll take some outside this weekend as long as the weather cooperates.

*No animals were harmed in the posting of this blog.

Labels: ,